Wednesday, February 4, 2009

FAQ: Are you saying that anybody who uses the SFCP is a hack?

Q: Are you saying that anybody who uses the SFCP is a hack?

A: Not at all. It's a tool like any other. Chord progressions get reused all the time. There's the 12-bar blues, the I-vi-IV-V favored by 1950s rock and roll (and -- seriously -- half of the score of the stage version of Grease) and the I-V-vi-IV covered by Rob Paravonian in his famous Pachelbel Rant, among others. I could fill volumes with I-V-VII-IV, seriously.

2 comments:

  1. Well as a songwriter myself I would say that anyone who uses this chord structure is a hack. They simply go for the easy option of singing over the top of a chord structure and their songs will never be any less than medicore. do you think that if all the great bacnds of the 60s, 70s and the 80s had resorted to these tactics there would've been much good music? Write the tune in your head firstm then fit the choirds to it later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And watch the chords (Pachelbel, SFCP, take your pick) fit in.

      Delete